Wednesday, September 8, 2010

My Grandpa's...

I have been VERY fortunate in my life to not only have a relationship with ALL my grandparents but to also know my great-grandparents.  They are all so special to me and I love them very much!  My grandpa's have taught me a lot about life. Their infinite wisdom is something that I will ALWAYS cherish and keep with me.    
     My grandpa Linton has not only taught me, but shown me so much on how the gospel can bless your life and there isn't any question I can ask him that has to do with the gospel that he can't answer.  He is my spiritual guide in this life.  He has the best attitude and just loves having fun with all of his great-grandkids!  If I remember right he and my grandma have 24 grandchildren and 23 great grandchildren with 5 more on the way all due within 3 months of each other!  They are pretty diligent about showing up to anything they are invited to!  My kids love them so much and so do I!  My grandpa has a pretty bad back that causes him to be in pain, but that NEVER stops that man from playing with the kids and rolling on the floor with them!  Here is a picture of him giving Camden a shoulder ride which he was obviously enjoying!



My grandpa Whetman has always been a special man to me.  He seriously is the wisest man I will ever meet on this earth!  He knows everything from gardening to grocery shopping, from websites that can get you  the best deal on things to cooking a gourmet meal off of next to nothing, from building ANYTHING, to financial planning.   He has been someone that I seek advice from on almost everything.  He too has the most amazing personality.  He never complains, EVER.   Right now he has lung cancer, pulmonary fibrosis, and emphysema.  He is on 100% oxygen 100% of the time and when you call and ask him how he is doing he ALWAYS says, "I have nothing to complain about!"  Even though he is very sick he still goes out on his 4 wheelers, mows his and his neighbors lawn and just enjoys life.  NOTHING will stop him from living the fullest life he can.  In what would be a scary time for most of us his attitude is positive and uplifting.  He is realistic and knows that his time left on this earth is short, but he continues to live and live well and as happy as possible.  In my conversations with him it seems to me that he isn't scared to leave this earth.  He knows that he has been good to people and after this life, he will be in his words, "alright".  I KNOW he will be more than "alright".  He will live in a place with gardens that he couldn't even DREAM of!  His favorite smell of decomposing grass freshly tilled in the dirt will be all around him!  As for now, I will enjoy him while he is here as much as I can!  He continues to teach me something new every time I am with him and his advice is the best I have ever gotten and it is never ending!  He will always be an example in my life.   My kids love him and Kaysia especially seems to have a special place in her heart for him.  

I am a very lucky person to have these men in my life.  They will continue to guide me in directions that will always be good for me and my family, both spiritually and temporally.  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Mellisa... that made me cry. The words you spoke were so thoughtful of both your Grandfathers. You couldn't have tuned it any better on what you said about my Dad. :) He IS the greatest and is ALWAYS so positive. He never likes to place his burdens on anyone else... ever. :) Thanks Mellisa, this was very sweet.

Cherish said...

Lucky indeed! glad you have pictures, hope you get a chance to show them both this post.