Wednesday, December 15, 2010

New Year's Resolutions....

   I've never really been a "long term" goal setting person.   I always set small goals, goals that aren't life changing or make me a better person.  For example, I will put a load of laundry in the washer and set a goal to have certain stuff done around the house before it's time to put it in the dryer.  That is about as good as my goal setting gets. 
    I have decided to teach my lesson in Relief Society, which is on January second, about the importance of goal setting and including spiritual goals into your resolutions.  Most would say I am not fit to teach this lesson because I have never done this.  Maybe this is true, and maybe the only person that will get anything out of what I say will be me.  Regardless, my personal goals have been weighing HEAVILY on my mind.  What the goals should be, who I want to be, and how I can set and achieve realistic, manageable goals.  So far my list of goals are:

1. Read the Book of Mormon ALL the way through once, then ponder and study it a second time beginning to end.
2. Start reading and learning more out of the Bible.
3.  Read at least 5 non-fiction books throughout the year about various subjects.
4.  Organize my house, and keep it that way.
5.  Organize my schedule and stick to it.
6.  Pray more both personally and with my kids.
7.  Make family home evening something that isn't "optional" depending on my mood or if Jason can't be there.
8.  Think less about myself and more about others.
9.  Recognize the needs of friends and family and be more charitable to them.
10. Plant a garden.
11.  Learn how to preserve that garden come fall with canning and freezing.
12.  Spend less money on "things".
13.  Spend more time with people that I love.
14.  Saying I love you more to my husband and children.
15.  Learn to understand my husband and children's needs, setting my own aside when the time requires me to.
16.  Learn more about myself to separate the 'wants' from the 'needs'.
17.  Be a better friend, not only to neighbors, but to my husband and children.
18.  Spend less time on facebook and the computer in general.
19.  Count my blessings when I'm feeling down instead of focusing on what I don't have.
20.  Learn and master the skill of patience.  I don't expect to be perfectly patient all the time, but I would like to learn be patient perfectly when things are small and not life altering.
21.  Start limiting TV time and game time not only for the kids, but for myself.
22.  Eat out less, cook more.
23.  Learn to eat healthy and teach my family the same.
24.  Start 2 new family traditions that can carry on year after year.
25.  Find good in people.  Especially those whose 'good' isn't their first recognizable quality.
26.  Run 4, 5k races, 2-3 6k races and finish the year off with the Layton half marathon in October.
27.  Learn to be more punctual.
28.  Be more reliable.
29.  Spend QUALITY time with my husband and children, both individually and together.

Realistic?  Achievable? Too few?  Too Many?  I'm not sure.  I do know that all of these things are so important to me and the first thing I need to do is prioritize.  I will learn as I go too (I hope).   In the meantime I will prepare my lesson and learn so much about myself and the things I 'need' to set, and set aside the ones I 'want'.  Afterall, isn't that one of my goals??



  

1 comment:

Lavar and Michelle said...

That is a lot of goals Mellisa but are all attainable. I learned on my mission that if you want to accomplish a list of goals you need to priorities and figure out which ones you are going to focus on each month. I wouldn't focus on more then 3 a month or you will be too overwhelmed. I love the goals, they are all really good.