Tuesday, May 18, 2010

New Church Calling...

Saturday afternoon we had an unexpected visit from our bishop. He came to issue a calling to 'us'. I was thinking to myself, "I wonder what they are going to call Jason to do, it must be important if the bishop is personally delivering the news to our house!" You see, I have been in my calling teaching Valiant 8 only since the beginning of the year. There was no way they were going to call me to do anything! He then looked at Jason and said, "Your wife is going to need your support in this, are you willing to support her?" I was thinking, "WHAT? I am getting another calling? What could I do on top of teaching the 8 year olds?" Turns out the plan wasn't an additional calling, it was a new one. Second counselor in the Relief Society Presidency.



I swear he had it wrong. I just kept saying "ME??? ME???" I always looked at the Relief Society Presidency as spiritual, wise, knowledgeable in the gospel, giving and just downright perfect women (or close to it). Women to look up to if you will. I really don't fit in this category! If I am honest...I have never even read the book of Mormon completely! My testimony of the church is growing, but still not where I would like it to be or where I think it should be for such a big calling. Now I know that I am not the President, but I take this just as seriously. I was learning so much about the gospel teaching the 8 year olds. I felt I was right where I needed to be, not too intimidating to teach them, yet still learning SO MUCH!

When I was set apart for my calling the first thing that was said in my blessing was that Heavenly Father wanted me to know that I was chosen, he chose me, for this calling. That was pretty powerful, given the fact that I don't fully understand why I was chosen. I do know this however, I was put in my calling in the primary to learn things that helped my friend, Shauna, who has been dealing the loss of her sister. Because of the lesson I taught these children I was able to explain the plan of salvation to her, hopefully bringing peace to her and the plan for us. I was able to use her sister as an example of the sacrifice of Christ and what he specifically did for her. I appreciated and loved teaching these children but I feel like Heavenly Father will put me in places I need to be exactly when I need to be there. I am excited for the new experiences and spiritual growth my new calling will bring me. I trust that He will be there when I need guidance to help me become the woman I need to be!!

2 comments:

The Woodlands said...

I'm kind of excited for you! I think you will do a great job. You are a spiritual giant. I'm inspired by your humility ;)

Jeanie said...

Congrats again! You will do a great job and the experiences you have will really strengthen your testimony as you learn more about the Gospel and serve the women in your ward. You will love it!