Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Breathing...

   Breathing in and out is something that comes natural, something that is easy, for most of us that is.  Someone very special to me has been struggling to breathe for the past few years. 
   Six months ago my grandpa was diagnosed with lung cancer, pulmonary fibrosis and years earlier emphysema.  Regardless of his struggle to catch his breath he continued to do everything that he wanted to do.  He continued to live, not only live, but live well.  He continued to live like Christ.  He blessed others with his optimism, wisdom and his giving, loving heart.  He gardened, traveled, rode his ATV's, went cruising in his yellow baby and continued to show his love for others.  I am so glad I got to spend time with him.  Each time I saw him his struggle to breathe became more and more obvious.  The last time I saw my grandpa was 5 days ago.  He was sitting in his chair wearing sweats, slippers and had a blanket on him.  His struggle to breathe left him cold and weak.  We talked about so many things in the short time I got to spend with him, but even talking left him short of breath.  The tears would fall down his face as he closed his eyes and took a deep breath through his nose to get oxygen into his frail body. 
    Today was the last day that my grandpa had to struggle to breathe.  He took his last breath surrounded by my grandma and his kids.  I'm so happy that he isn't struggling anymore and that his strong spirit is living on continuing to do some of the things that he loves so much and learning new things about himself and the new life he has begun. 
     While driving home from his house today a song I have never heard before came on and the chorus touched me so deeply and is such a perfect song to remember my wonderful grandfather and the lessons he taught me not only through the years of my life but through his struggle 'til the end.

Life's not the breath you take.
The breathing in and out that gets you through the day, isn't what it's all about.
You just might miss the point trying to win the race.
Life's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Just like it took my breath away when he took his last that morn.

Life's not the breaths you take.  The breathing in and out that gets you through the day, isn't what it's all about.
You just might miss the point if you don't slow down the pace.
Life's not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

    Thank you grandpa for all you did for me!  I love you so much and I am so happy that you get to be with your dad and mom again.  I am especially happy that you don't have to worry about breathing anymore.  I know that my life will continue to take my breath away and I also know that your spirit will be there in those special moments breathing with me! 

2 comments:

Cherish said...

yea that is a great song, and how special it will always be to you.
I am glad your family has you to be a beacon of light, of faith and hope, and kidness and love. And I am glad you had such a wonderful grandpa in your life that probably helped teach you how to be some of those things.

Nathan and Shanna said...

What a special song! Sorry to hear about your Grandpas passing, but sounds like you know he's in a better place. Aren't we lucky to have that knowledge to help us through these times of lose. Thanks for sharing.